onsdag 18 maj 2016

Emacs, tabs and helpers in general

I just had to dig up this after a discussion about TABs and coding standards. I prefer not to think about it, but most editors these days tries too much to be helpful including my old friend emacs. As soon as you are closing a paranthese, opening a comment or just tries to code in general it does the equivalent of that annoying spell checker.

What about all these helpers that nags at your attention, patience and defocuses yourself from the task you are trying to accomplish, who asked for these? It all started with the biggest annoyment there ever was, the Office Assistant Clippy!! Released around 1998


This flirting annoyment almost shortened my life by the lionpart when it arrived. To start with it was almost impossible to turn off and secondly the computers were already on their knees when it made the situation even worse and trying to be funny. My mother loved it though.

After that there have been a never ending stream of annoying helper additions for ignorant, illitterate and lazy people! I am probably all of that but I didn't ask for auto-spellers, tripple are-you-really-sure alerts and what triggered this rant: auto-indenters

Emacs was my friend up until it came with predefined language support where the indention style was predefined in some LISP file somewhere on your harddisk. Never in the same place and often your changes to it didn't take any effect because of god-knows-what!

In any case for the moment I found it for my Windows Emacs and also what to change: Edit the c:/Users//AppData/Roaming/.emacs and read here about the changes you want to do:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IndentingC

It works now but soon I have forgot about it until next time I have to turn it off, change it or even turn it on. We spend too much time beeing defocused from the task we are trying to accompplish!

Another example is the auto-speller that corrects whatever I write to something readable. I only have to hit keys close to the ones that resembles a word and it even marks up the errors in grammar. Geehh I don't know how kids in the future will be able to write with a pen on a paper. Will they?



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar